[Skip to content]

Monday 19 August 2019
Derbyshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Search our Site

Help in a mental health crisis

Girl on phone
Help during office hours
(9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday)

If you already use our mental health services, or care for someone who does, during office hours your first point of contact should be the person you usually see.   

Help out of office hours 
(5pm - 9am, Monday to Friday; and Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays)
For out of hours urgent advice, please call one of the services listed below. In a genuine emergency, please call 999 or visit your nearest A&E. 
Telephone: 111

NHS Choices website: www.nhs.uk

Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. 

Offering advice and support about what to do in a mental health crisis.

If you are calling about a friend or relative, NHS 111 request that you are within close proximity to the patient and have their consent to share information. The NHS 111 call adviser may ask to speak to the patient directly. Should you not be in close proximity to the patient, the NHS 111 adviser will ask to call the patient directly to discuss your concerns. It is required that the caller phones the patient first to inform them that an NHS 111 adviser will be calling.

Telephone: 116 123 (freephone from mobiles and landlines)

Web: www.samaritans.org

Offering emotional support 24 hours a day. 

Just having someone to talk to that isn't family or friends can be a tremendous help.

Young people under the age of 35 who may be having thoughts of suicide and those concerned about the mental health of a young person can contact HOPELineUK

A HOPELineUK advisor will hear about the things that are happening in your life that are contributing to your thoughts of suicide and provide advice about how you can cope with your thoughts of suicide, or where you can access help. You can also speak to our HOPELineUK advisors to get advice about how to start a conversation about suicide with someone you are concerned about, and how to best support them.

Call: 0800 068 41 41

Text: 07786209697

Email: pat@papyrus-uk.org

Opening hours are 10am-10pm weekdays, 2pm-10pm weekends, and 2pm-5pm Bank Holidays. 

Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) – for men.

The CALM helpline is for men in the UK who are down or have hit a wall for any reason, who need to talk or find information and support. For more information visit the webpage www.thecalmzone.net/

Call 0800 58 58 58 – open 5pm to midnight every day

Telephone: 0300 304 7000

Web: www.sane.org.uk

SANEline runs a national, out-of-hours mental health helpline offering specialist emotional support and information to anyone affected by mental illness, including family, friends and carers. We are open every day of the year from 6pm to 11pm.

For children and young people under 19: 0800 1111 (calls are free and the number will not show up on your phone bill)

Web: www.childline.org.uk/

The Silver Line is the only free confidential helpline providing information, friendship and advice to older people, open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Members of the trained team:

  • Offer information and advice
  • Link callers to local groups
  • Offer friendship calls


Call: 0800 4 70 80 90; web: www.thesilverline.org.uk/

The role of an out of hours Careline is to make people feel safe until the next working day. Daytime workers may become involved to follow up on a problem that has been dealt with at night or over a weekend. 

Social care numbers you can ring for help include:

  • Derby City Careline During office hours you can call 01332 786968 for social care support. Alternatively, for out of hours support, please call 01332 786968. If you are Deaf, please text 07890 034081. The service operates from 5pm to 9am Monday to Friday and 24 hours a day on weekends and bank holidays.


  • Call Derbyshire - Call 01629 533190. The call centre is open between 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday and 9.30am to 4pm Saturdays to provide you with a speedy and direct responses.

First time needing support in a mental health crisis?

If you, or a friend or relative are experiencing mental health problems for the first time and need emergency treatment or advice during office hours, then you should contact your general practitioner (GP). Your GP is your family doctor, the doctor you would normally see if you are ill or concerned about any aspect of your health. They will be able to refer you to the most appropriate mental health service in your area. If you need to contact someone out of hours, please ring NHS 111 (see above).

If you don’t have a GP, use the NHS Choices website to locate the nearest one to you.